What is coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a type of virus. Typical symptoms include fever and a cough that may progress to severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. As of 18th May 2020, individuals are advised that loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste (known as anosmia) is also considered a common symptom.
Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people and those with long term health conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China. This is a rapidly changing situation which is being monitored carefully.
The most common symptoms are new:
- continuous cough
- fever/high temperature (37.8C or greater)
- loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste (anosmia)
A new continuous cough is where you:
- have a new cough that’s lasted for an hour
- have had 3 or more episodes of coughing in 24 hours
- are coughing more than usual