NHS Dumfries & Galloway

Relocation Information

Getting around

Click here to see the location of our central site 'Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary'. You can then plan your route via car by clicking for directions.

Not everyone will be working at our main hospital and you may want to plan your journey to other work sites in our region, Use this handy tool to plan your journey via car : Journey planner

Car Hire
If you need to hire a car locally, click here for our local hiring companies.

Taxi Service
If you require a taxi, please click here to see our local taxi services.

Free onsite parking at all NHS Dumfries and Galloway worksites. 
If you are driving around the region, free parking is available in certain areas, however you may need to display a parking disc. For further information and how to get one for free please click here. 

Electric vehicles
If you drive an electric car we have electric charging points at most of our NHS Dumfries and Galloway sites. To find charging points around the region, please click here.

There are plenty of local bus routes to let you travel all around the region. There are also bus links available to allow you to travel around both Scotland and England.

For our bus routes for Dumfries and Galloway please visit Stagecoach bus.

For our bus routes from around Dumfries town centre to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary, please click here.

Alternatively, please visit Traveline Scotland to plan routes around Scotland.

Dumfries Train Station is located in the centre of town - click here to view on the map.

Lockerbie Train Station is a 30 minute drive from Dumfries. 

Carlisle Train Station is a 45 minute drive from Dumfries. You can also get a train from Dumfries to Carlisle to then link to other rail services to travel South.

Stranraer Train Station is located on the harbour in town - click here to view on the map. 

There are also Barrhill and Girvan Train Stations in the West of the region, which is a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from Stranraer.

Train Service Information 
Please refer to the following websites for information on train timetables and how to book tickets: 

Scot Rail

National Rail Enquiries


There are over 400  bike routes around Dumfries and Galloway. Click here for information.

Did you know we have a Cycle to Work scheme? For information, Click here. 

We also have electric bikes which you can use for free to travel to different NHS sites (a short training session must be completed first).

Dumfries and Galloway has a selection of airports located both North and South to choose to travel from:

In the west of the region, we have Cairnryan Ferry Terminal. This is just a 13 minute drive from our  Galloway Community Hospital. From here, you can travel to Northern Ireland in just over 2 hours. 

Please check the following websites to see ferry timetables and information on how to book.

Stenaline Ferries

P&O Ferries


Choosing where to live can be a hard decision as there are so many beautiful places to choose from. If you want to live in the busy centre of town, a quiet housing development, a small village or a very rural location out in the country side, you will find something that suits you!   

Being such a large geographical region, you may want to consider where you live depending on where your workplace is based.

Below are examples of some areas in the region, and the commute times to NHS D&G worksites: 

Not everyone works at our main hospital sites, use this handy tool below to plan your work commute: 

Journey Planner

To rent or buy a property in Dumfries & Galloway, you can use online search engines to find properties. Some of these sites are listed below:
Your Move
Purple Bricks


We also have local estate agents who can provide support, please click here to be directed to local agents.

Renting help:
When renting a property in Scotland, a contract will be set up between yourself and the landlord which will usually start with a 6 month lease term. You are able to renew and extend your lease by having discussions with your landlord. 

Payments are usually monthly, but this will depend on your agreement with your landlord. 

Some rental properties may have rules in place, for example not allowing pets. It is important to make sure you check your agreement if you are wanting to have pets in your property. 

For full guidance on renting a property in Scotland please refer to this guide for tenants by clicking here. 

Buying help: 
Purchasing a house in Scotland may be different to purchasing a house overseas. For information on buying a property in Scotland, please click on the following links for advice and guidance. 

Scottish Government Guidance - Buying a home

Citizens Advice - Buying a home

If you require accommodation for a short stay, there are different options in the region. Please click on the links to search available short-term accommodation options and choose which is right for you.

Local Bed & Breakfast Accommodation (B&B) - Provide a private room and breakfast. 

AirBnB - Provide either private room or an entire house/flat to stay. 

Hotels - Private room. 

Spare Room - Provide a private room in a house/flat.

NHS Dumfries and Galloway offer residences for students, trainees and medical locums. If there is space available, new staff moving to the area can request temporary accommodation.

Please click here to find out more information. 

Schools & Education

The Education Authority Handbook is a great guide on Dumfries and Galloway's education services.

This provides information on polices and procedures, as well as support and information on how all children are supported to reach their potential through meeting their individual needs and aspirations.

Click here to read.

For Early Years education and childcare information please click here.

In Dumfries and Galloway, there are plenty of childcare options available to suit what is best for you and your family. Options in the region include: 

Local Nursery : Nurseries are usually open between 7am-6-pm. Nurseries usually care for children from 2 years old. If you are looking for a nursery, please click here for listings and more information.

Child Minder: A Child Minder can be more flexible and you can arrange with them days and times for child care. Always check that they are registered with the Care Inspectorate. If you are looking for someone as a full time childminder, a nanny/au pair may be a better option for you.

After School Club: Most school days end around 3pm and if you are working late this is a great option for you. After School Clubs run either from the school directly, or local nurseries have their own services where they collect them from school and take them to the nursery. After School Clubs are open until 6pm. Some schools and nurseries also run Breakfast Clubs where you can drop them off before school. If at a nursery, the nursery will drop off at the school.

Dumfries and Galloway has 98 primary schools and 18 secondary schools over the region.

You can locate the listings and information on each of the schools by clicking below: 



For school term and holiday dates, please click here

In the UK, we have a number of private/boarding schools. The closest boarding/private schools to Dumfries and Galloway is located in Carlisle, England which is a 45 minute drive from the centre of Dumfries. Click here to search for information on all of our private/boarding schools in the UK. 

For further education and learning we have Dumfries and Galloway college based in Dumfries and their is also a campus in Stanraer, the West of the region. There are also 3 universities which is brilliant for the region. The University of  the West of Scotland and the University of Glasgow both have a campus in Dumfries located on the Crichton Grounds in the town centre, offering a range of courses. The Scottish Rural University College (SRUC) is located at Parkgate, a 15 minute drive from Dumfries town centre, it offers a range of courses from agriculture to veterinary nursing. For more information, click on the appropriate logo: 

Other Useful Info

To find out more information on Scottish Culture and travelling around Scotland check out Visit Scotland.

Some local language you might hear in Dumfries & Galloway: 

If you hear someone say  'Ma heid's mince' this doesn't mean your head has turned into a meat! This Scottish term means 'My head’s a bit mixed up.' 

Here is a few more slang words and expressions that you may hear: 

  • Auld – Old
  • Aye – Yes
  • Bairn – Baby
  • Blether – Talkative, when referred to a person. To “have a blether” is to have a chat.
  • Bonnie – Beautiful
  • Crabbit – Bad tempered
  • Dae – Do
  • Didnae – Did not
  • Dinnae – Do not
  • Dug – Dog
  • Eh? – What?
  • Fae - From
  • Feart – Afraid
  • Gan - Going
  • Geeza haun – Give me a hand (help me).
  • Greet – Cry
  • Hame – Home
  • Haud – Hold
  • Hoose – House
  • How no – Why not
  • Isnae – Is not
  • Jammy - Lucky
  • Ken – Know
  • Knackered – Tired/exhausted
  • Mair – More
  • Mockit, Manky, Mingin’, Boggin’ – All mean dirty
  • Minted - Wealthy
  • Naw – No
  • Oot - Out
  • Peely Wally – Pale
  • Piece – A sandwich
  • Reek – Smell
  • Scran - food
  • Scunnered – Bored, fed up
  • Stookie – Plaster cast (for a broken bone)
  • Tattie – Potato
  • Wee - small
  • Wean – Child
  • Wheesht – Quiet 
  • YaldiAn expression of joy

‘We’re gan up toon’ We are going up the town centre

‘Whit’s fur ye’ll no go past ye’ Whatever is meant to happen to you, will happen to you

‘Haud yer wheesht!’ Be Quiet!

‘Ah dinnae ken’ I dont know

Haste Ye Back!’- Farewell saying meaning ‘come back soon’

If a member of your family also works for the NHS we will try to accommodate employment for them. 

If they work in another field out with the NHS, Dumfries and Galloway has a range of other job opportunities from teaching, lecturing, retails, trade work, factory work, Agricultural work and more. 

The best place to look for job opportunities would be Indeed,  S1 Jobs or on our Local Council Job Board. 

If you need any support in looking for a job for your family members please email dg.jobs@nhs.scot

We have a range of supermarkets which provide food, drink, alcohol, health and beauty products, household cleaning products, pet supplies, baby supplies,  Some of the larger stores also have home decor, clothing and technology departments.

Opening times:
Most of our local supermarkets open from 7am and close around 10pm (make sure to check online for store opening times as they can vary throughout the week/year)
We have one supermarket which is open 24 hours. 

Some of our Supermarkets offer other services- 

Click & collect: You can visit the stores website, place your order online and then you collect from the store at a allocated time slot.

Home delivery: You can visit the stores website, shop online and then you are given a allocated time slot for your shopping to be delivered right to your home address.

Other local food & drink suppliers: You can also shop from our smaller,  bespoke, local shops which supply fresh local produce e.g  butchers, bakeries and farm shops.
There is also shops which specialise in cuisine from different cultures e.g Polish, Latvian, Romanian mini market & Halal butcher.

We have a number of farmers markets throughout the region. For information on where and when these are click here. 

There is loads to do across the region If you like the outdoors D&G is the place to be choose from  Sailing, Mountain biking, paddle boarding. horse riding,  hiking & golfing! Whether its just you, with friends or family you will find something to keep yourself entertained.

Visit South West Scotland has loads of information on things to do around the region.

Fancy a roadtrip? You may have heard of the North Coast 500 a very popular road trip in Scotland but in our region we have our very own  South West Coastal 300 road trip which allows you to see he best of South West Scotland click here for more information. 

When eating and drinking out our region has loads to offer from small cafes, restaurants, fast food takeaways to pubs & cocktails bars! Alot of our restaurants use fresh local produce! We even have our own local distilleries you can visit. If your wanting a quiet drink, a family meal or a quick coffee with a friend you will be sure to find somewhere in D&G.

Tripadvisor is a good website to use for advice on things to do and places to eat and drink!

D&G isn't far from loads of major cities so feel free to explore what they have on offer too! In just a few hours you can be in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester Liverpool or why not get the ferry from Stranrear and in a few hours you can be across in Belfast Ireland! You can also catch a train all the way to London in just 4-5 hours! 

We have a Spiritual Care Team at NHS Dumfries & Galloway who offer spiritual care to patients, visitors and staff. Whatever your faith, religious beliefs, philosophy or none - the team are able to support everyone. 

At Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary and Mountainhall Treatment Centre, we have Sanctuary facilities which are open for prayer, meditation, to find solitude and peace and quiet. Both have access to foot and hand washing facilities. The Sanctuary at DGRI is open 24/7. 

Places of Worship
The region has a number of churches and there is 1 mosque based in Dumfries.

Please click on the following links to some of our local faith and belief groups within the region : 

Interfaith Scotland

Dumfries & Galloway Multicultural Association 

COVID-19 Guidance
Please click here for the most up to date information on international travel and quarantine guidance for travelling into Scotland

Applying for a Tier 2 Visa
If you require a Tier 2 visa you will be asked to complete a Tier 2 Application Immigration Questionnaire, so we may apply for your Certificate of Sponsorship. For information please click here

to be directed to our UK Government guidance page.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
A BRP can be used to confirm your identity and your right to work in the UK. You will receive a BRP if you apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months or apply to settle in the UK .
You do not need to apply for a BRP, it will be automatically issued to you after completing your visa application. You must collect your BRP when you arrive in the UK. For full information on BRP and where to collect, please check our UK Government page by clicking here.

Opening a UK bank account
Your salary can only be paid into an UK bank account.  If you do not already possess a UK bank account, please arrange this promptly. We would recommend searching online to find UK banks. As a Health Board, we don't recommend any companies, but we suggest searching online if they're not yet in the UK rather than waiting until you arrive in the UK to prevent delay.

Obtaining a National Insurance (NI) Number
If you are an Overseas National new to the UK, you will not have an NI number, and will need to apply to ensure they are taxed and paid correctly. Please click here for information on how to apply.

Healthcare Information & how to Register for a GP/Dental Practice
For information and guidance on medical care, medication prescriptions and how to register for a GP Practice and dental care, please visit Citizens Advice Scotland.

Getting a UK Mobile Phone/Sim Card
Most mobile phones should work when coming to the UK, all you will need is a UK sim card. You may need to get your phone unlocked, please speak with your current network provider to do so. 

Not all international mobiles will work in the UK, therefore you may need to buy a new mobile phone. We have plenty of mobile phone providers and you can buy a phone either online or from retail stores. 
You can get a UK sim card either online or at retail stores. You can choose from 'Pay-as-you-Go' or sign up to a contract deal where you will pay a monthly fee.

Emergency Services Contact Numbers

  • Please call 999 for ambulance, police or fire services if there's a medical emergency – if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
  • Please call 101 to contact the police to report a crime or incident which is non-emergency and you do not need the police to arrive immediately.

  • Please call 111 for medical advice or treatment that is not an emergency.

WORK LIVE PLAY In Dumfries and Galloway