NHS Dumfries & Galloway

Right care, right place

The way you access urgent care has changed.

This is so that you get the right care in the right place and to keep people and the NHS safe this winter.

If people in Dumfries and Galloway think they need to visit the emergency department (ED) but it is not life-threatening, there is a new way to do that.

As a result of the global pandemic, how we provide services has had to change. This is so that we can keep you and the NHS safe. As we move into the busy winter period, this is more important than ever. You can help us keep you and our NHS safe by using our services wisely.

NHS 24 telephone service on 111 will be available day or night to assess your needs and direct you to the service you need. During normal opening hours, you should still call your GP practice, or get help online from a wide range of information and resources on NHS inform 

This will help you get the right care in the right place, often closer to home and without the need to go to ED. In emergencies, you should continue to call 999 or go directly to the ED. 


Right care, Right place 

If I need urgent care, what should I do? 

If you are calling from Dumfries and Galloway, we are asking you to:

  • use the NHS inform website to access advice on common symptoms, guidance for self-help and where to go if you need further medical care
  • contact your local GP practice during the day for an appointment or over the phone advice
  • use the NHS 24 telephone service on 111 day or night if you think you need ED but it is not life-threatening
  • use the NHS 24 111 Mental Health Hub and Breathing Space telephone helpline to access mental health advice and guidance
  • use NHS 24 111 service and NHS inform out of hours when you are too ill to wait for your GP practice to open, or for worsening symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • use your local minor injuries unit for non-life threatening but painful injuries such as a deep cut, a broken or sprained ankle or a painful burn injury.
  • continue to call 999 or go directly to A&E for emergencies.  
     Call 111 for urgent care

Remember, if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 (new persistent cough; high temperature; and / or loss of taste and smell), please avoid entering our healthcare settings. Instead, call NHS24 on 111 for advice and support.